Skills and Special Training
Characters have both Skills and Special Trainings. They rate from 0 to 5 dots, and are used in conjunction with the character’s Attributes for most draws. The more dots in a Skill or Special Training that your character has, the better they are at it. If a character has zero dots they take a further penalty—for Skills this is -1 and for Special Trainings this is -3.
Your character can do a thing covered by a Skill even if they have zero dots in it. Any character can tell a Lie or Drive a car; draws only happen when things are stressful, challenging, or there is a possibility for interesting failure. This is not true about Special Trainings. Those traits also have a higher penalty for having zero dots because of this, as someone trying to just jump into hospital Medicine is going to have a much harder time than someone who has had at least the most basic of instruction. The Storytellers reserve the right to tell a character that they can’t just do something covered by a Skill without drawing.
Below is list of the skills, with some example uses and draws. The penalty for having zero dots is in parenthesis at the title of that section.
- Sing a song (Presence + Artsy), Perform a dance number (Dexterity + Artsy)
- Run from a monster (Strength + Athletics), Swim across a lake (Stamina + Athletics)
- Organize a bake sale (Presence + Bureaucracy), Cook the books (Intelligence + Bureaucracy)
- Outrun the cops (Dexterity + Drive), Tail someone else’s car (Composure + Drive)
- Tell if someone is lying (Wits + Empathy), Read someone’s emotional reaction (Manipulation + Empathy)
- Throw a punch (Strength + Fight), Analyze a boxing match (Intelligence + Fight)
- Shoot a gun (Dexterity + Guns), Scope out a hunting perch (Wits + Guns)
- Fix a sink (Intelligence + Handy), diagnose a car problem (Wits + Handy)
- Scare a nice old lady (Presence + Intimidation), deliver a veiled threat (Manipulation + Intimidation)
- Downplay a lie (Manipulation + Lies), Brazenly lie in the face of evidence (Presence + Lies)
- Hunt an animal (Dexterity + Outdoorsy), Tell if a plant is poisonous (Wits + Outdoorsy)
- Deliver a speech (Presence + Persuasion), convince someone to buy a car (Manipulation + Persuasion)
- Quote the scriptures (Intelligence + Religion), Proselytize (Presence + Religion)
- Hide behind a couch (Dexterity + Stealth), Disguise yourself (Manipulation + Stealth)
- Steal a small object (Dexterity + Theft), Plan a heist (Intelligence + Theft)
Special Trainings (-3)
- Research a topic (Intelligence + Academics), Deliver a lecture (Presence + Academics)
- Make a Computer part (Intelligence + Computers), Diagnose a problem (Wits + Computers)
- Determine whether a bridge is safe (Wits + Engineering), Design something new (Intelligence + Engineering)
- Check out a crime scene (Wits + Investigation), Fish for information (Manipulation + Investigation)
- Know whether something is really illegal (Wits + Law), Act as a lawyer in a court (Presence + Law)
- Local Lore
- Tell a ghost story (Presence + Local Lore), Recall someone’s family tree (Intelligence + Local Lore)
- Perform field surgery (Dexterity + Medicine), Diagnose a problem (Wits + Medicine)
- Investigate novel phenomena (Wits + Science), Synthesize a chemical (Intelligence + Science)
Some Skills and most Special Training draws require specialized tools. If your character is without them (like attempting to do surgery with a kitchen knife and some gin), she gains a -1 to -3 penalty to her draw depending on the circumstance. If she has very good tools for the job (like performing surgery in a Big City hospital), she gets a +1 to +3 on the draw depending on the circumstance.